Arts, Crafts & Music
Charities and Benevolent
Church and Chapel
Clubs and Societies
100th Anniversary WWI Armistice Day Parade – 11.11.18
President Major D Hood MC and the statue of Private Archie Gomm (Ox & Bucks) take the salute
Commander R Forsyth RN (Ret’d) orders ‘eyes right’ leading the Parade
Standard Bearer: Sergeant M Hollingworth Right Escort: Mr N West Left Escort: Mr J Greenwood
More photos of Armistice day 2018 can be found by clicking on the image above
|President:||Major D.G. Hood MC (Ret’d)
|Chairman||Commander R.S. Forsyth RN (Ret’d)|
|Secretary||Mr Tony Lowe. For contact details please refer to the DIRECTORY|
17 November The Deddington Ball raised £7000.00 for the RBL.
Poppy Week’s collections raised …….(over £7K)
8 December AGM and Christmas Dinner at the Deddington Arms
The Branch was formed in 1925 when it occupied a building on the east side of High Street just near to the Tchure in which it operated its social club. The Club closed on 30 September 2017; falling membership and the cost of extensive repairs needed on the building meant that the Branch was no longer able to maintain its building. The proceeds from the sale were passed to the Parish Council as required by the Deed of Trust by right of which the Branch occupied the building.
The history of the building from 1730 onwards can be found here
The British Legion became The Royal British Legion on 10 September 1971 upon the granting of a Royal Charter.
The names of those Deddington men and women who have died for their country in both World Wars and later conflicts, and who are remembered on our War Memorial and elsewhere, can be found on this website via the link History/A Parish at War. The names of those who served in the Armed Forces, The Homeguard, Royal Observer Corps, The Women’s Land Army and Timber Corps and the Emergency Services are all recorded and some of their stories told.
Past Branch Presidents
Captain Lavender (??)-1955
Lt Col A D Taylor DSO MC 1955-1985
Mr Walter Hirons 1985-1990
Mr Arthur Lewis 1990-1999
Mr John Spencer 1999-2001
Mr Norman West 2001-2008 (also Branch Treasurer for over 40 years)
Major David G Hood MC 2008-current