Flora & Fauna
Hempton Common Lands Charity
In the Area
Parish Church & Benefice
Schools and Childcare
Where to Eat, Drink & Stay
The Library Today
The library occupies the Old Court House in Horsefair (at the junction of the A4260 and B4031, entrance on the High Street). It forms part of the Oxfordshire Library Service.
Opening hours: Mon 2.00-7.00pm; Thurs 1.00-5pm; Wed & Sat 9.30am-1pm. Closed Tue & Fr (new hours from 13 July 2018).
Services include: Free Wi-fi, DVD & audio book hire, local studies, photocopier/scanning, weekly Rhymetime, monthly Reading Group, Public Network, free to use Pcs.
- On the first Monday of the month Deddington Bookworms meet at 6.30pm, a friendly group of eclectic readers, new members welcome.
- Health Visitors run a baby clinic at the library from 9.30-10.30am on the first Wednesday of the month.
- Every Monday, 2.30-3pm during term time, a lively and interactive Rhymetime for under 5s and families.
- On Thursdays during term time, the F1 class from Deddington Primary School visits the library. There are also regular visits from the Deddington Pre-School and Nursery children.
- For more information on the Deddington library services contact the Library Manager (01869 338391).
- The library also has a large wall-mounted fabric collage made by the Deddington Craft Group in 1991; it depicts the buildings, trades and activities in Deddington through the ages.
- Deddington library now houses the Royal British Legion clock, donated to the Friends when the RBL building was sold in September 2017. The clock was restored by Frederick Treebie Reed (1862-1948) of Deddington and hung in the Club since it first opened in 1925.
The Friends of Deddington Library (FoDL): The Friends regularly fundraise to help support the library financially. One such fundraiser is the annual Parish calendar showing images of Deddington, Hempton and Clifton taken by local photographers. To find out more about the Friends, please contact the Tei Williams, FoDL Secretary. For a history of the Friends’ successful campaigns to keep Deddington Library open, click here.
Home Library Service
Volunteers deliver books and audio to those who can’t get to a library. If you are elderly or housebound (whether permanently or temporarily) and would like to receive deliveries from the Home Library Service, please contact the Library Manager (01869 338391); or register to use the service by emailing the Oxfordshire Library Service (01865 328905), or click here.
For contact details see the DIRECTORY.